Saturday, December 1, 2012

Musings on a rainy weekend getaway

It is Oregon....and with all the beauty that statement encompasses, the reality is that it is November and that means "rain" pretty much anywhere you go in the state.  Our last weekend escape was in early November at the Oregon Coast, so we decided it was time to head south....although we are weekend RV'ers so that does not mean far enough south to escape the rain.  With a craving for the truck stop Friday seafood special (yes, I am serious, and yes, a delicious find at $10.99) we were off again to the 7 Feathers RV Resort in Canyonville, Oregon.  I won't blather on about how much I love this place again...suffice it to say they do it right.  With an empty stomach, swimsuit packed, and player's card in hand we again took the 2 1/2 hour trek from Corvallis.  We arrived late Friday to find a whopping 8 other rigs in a resort that has 200'ish sites.  We also arrived to 30-40 mph winds and pummeling rain...again, nothing that should surprise any northwesterners.

Blackened Salmon Friday night special
As usual, the blackened salmon dinner made it worthwhile and fueled us for the stormy night ahead. 

One of my favorite pastimes at these transient resorts is creating travel lives for everyone that passes through.  Of course this time of year with the crap weather in Oregon, I pretend that most everyone is on their way down to the Palm Springs, Phoenix, Quartzite....any place where the sun actually shines and where furnaces don't receive a full-day workout.  My second favorite pastime at this particular resort, given that a truck stop is just down the hill, is to imagine my life as a long-haul trucker.  I visualize cruising the country, meeting new people, and testing my verbal acuity with CB banter.  Of course, my fantasies are far from reality in most cases as I know what a shitty trucker I would be, unable to fix anything significant, and probably hopped on on uppers to actually drive for 10-12 hours straight...but nothing wrong with a fantasy right?  That reminds me, I had better come up with a good CB handle for my next fantasy session.  On our last visit here we met THE most awesome couple from Palm Springs, so who knows what this weekend might bring...although nothing will compare to the homemade tamales that we shared with our newfound friends on the last visit south.
An empty 7 Feathers Resort

 This brings me to what I love about the RV lifestyle.  We are surrounded by people on a regular basis that we would normally not meet nor interact with elsewhere....but thanks to us all having kindred roving spirits, we share a common connection that transcends our differences.  I think our country could learn a great deal from this camaraderie.  In our country that is getting more and more polarized, with the status quo being finger pointing and blame-laying, RV'ers come together despite their differences and embrace the unique journey that we have the opportunity to share together.  By sharing meals together and fun times, we are able to each learn from each other and realize we are really not the polarized factions that the media would make us all out to be.  Liberals and conservatives CAN and do get along, and we can each learn from each other and enjoy each others' company.  At the end of this election month, I think it is important that we remember this and try and remind ourselves that it is the celebration of our uniqueness that keeps us fueled.....passion for exploration and new experiences brings us joy and awe.  Spending our time making judgements and living in places of fear are they way to frustration, anger, and sickness. 

Happy Holidays my fellow wandering spirits!

No comments:

Post a Comment